Subscribe for motorcycle news, updates and a weekly specials email.
1. An unrivalled grip in the wet1 thanks to the revolutionary new MICHELIN Sipe Technology (XST)3
2. An unbeatable tire life2 thanks to MICHELIN’s latest-generation 2CT dual-compound technology
3. All of this plus even wear and life-long performance thanks to full-depth MICHELIN XST3 sipes
Water evacuation via the tread sculpture and contact patch pressure is not enough to completely eliminate the presence of water between the tire tread and the road surface. However, a traditional tread pattern is not always fully able to achieve this.
Thanks to its brand-new MICHELIN XST X-Sipe Technology, which combines several technological patented evolutions, MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 surpasses its predecessor, MICHELIN Pilot Road 2, with even better key performances.
MICHELIN XST Technology increases tyre performance even where grip is reduced (water puddles, painted road markings, etc…)
Integrated sipes into the MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 tread pattern have a triple actions: :
1. Sipes generate pressure at the edge of the sipe blade which help to ”break” the water film. So that, the tyre can stay in contact with the road.
2. Sipes allow water to be drained into the larger tread channels
3. Sipes are both biased slants and ”full depth” ; This ensures regular wear of the tyre throughout its entire lifetime.
The reservoirs throughout the MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 sipes have a dual-action effect :
1. MICHELIN XST Technology acts as water reservoirs, able to temporarily store water and evacuate it when the reservoir is no longer in contact with the road. The draining capacity of MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 is increased.
2. The reservoirs also increase the sipes efficiency by cutting them in two pieces. As a matter of principle, on a rounded surface - such as a tyre -, it is better to have two shorter blades than a single long one.
Soft rubber for grip or Hard rubber for longevity?
Thanks to its MICHELIN 2CT Two-Compound Technology, Michelin resolved the quadrature of the circle and can offer a tyre that is both resistant in the middle (hard rubber) and have grip on the shoulder (soft rubber). Result: your tyres last longer without giving up cornering grip!
Tests made by DEKRA, on almost 6,000 km of all kind of roads (road, highway, …) show that MICHELIN Pilot Road 3 lasts even longer than MICHELIN Pilot Road 2, which was already the Champion in 2008 and 20092